Saturday, July 14, 2012

Two-Week Anniversary* of the Centennial

I went back to New Jersey for a friend's grandmother's 100th birthday celebration (her birthday was actually two weeks ago, but we celebrated like it was 100).

It felt a lot like coming home; my parents lived in the neighborhood for about 6 years (the last 2.5 years of high school and the first 3.5 years of college) and these friends had a big old house with plenty of kids and an open door policy.
Rrrrrrrrr!

The weather was spectacular. We dined on picnic tables outside in the back yard with a lovely view of the water.

I'm used to seeing birds perched on horizonal wires.  This was something new! 
Lighting the tea lights on the cake


Nanny talks Belle into blowing out the candles for her!
Nanny's mind is clear, and she is as sweet and sociable as ever.  I suppose she will probably not be doing any mountain-goat impersonations anytime soon, but she doesn't particularly seem to need her cane for at least short bursts of walking.

Friends and family came from as far away as Maryland and Connecticut for the occasion; some members of the "core group" of course traveled much further and were there for the Birthday Itself.

It was great to see everyone.

---

* I know, I know, two weeks does not an anniversary make.  But it's common usage, and it would be difficult to find a clear and concise alternative.  Seems to me if I reach 100, I'll be celebrating every two weeks - if not more often!

No comments: