Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Week & Weekend In Review

This summer, I failed to subscribe to the Mostly Mozart Festival, so I didn't get my cool on-stage seats.  (How I love looking over the musician's shoulders at their music!!)  But I got invited to attend MMF concerts on Tuesday and Friday, which was fun.

Saturday, I went to Constitution Island for their Garden Day.  It was a little underwhelming (since it's not even a real island and the "hiking trails" are minimal indeed), but it was a nice excursion and I was able to go on a little boat ride up the Hudson and back - some pretty scenery.

Then Saturday night, I caught a performance of Richard III.  The actress who played Anne really brought home the horror of Anne's position, and I teared up a bit at some of the scenes.  But throughout the show, I kept hearing sounds of cheering from the park behind and below me.  At first I thought it was a political rally ... but really, who would keep up the cheering for 2 solid hours?  Surely, no candidate is worth it!

So, after the actors took their final bows, I went down to check it out... and it was a race!  I cheered on the runners a bit, with no idea what kind of race this was or how long the course was or anything.  Then, still cheering, I headed toward the finish line, and eventually I started to see explanatory signs: it was an Ironman competition!  Apparently, NYC's first-ever.  (Unfortunately, I heard the next day that one of the swimmers died.  But I don't think that information had filtered to the crowd; the mood was upbeat and very encouraging.)

Sunday, I went back to Trinity Wall Street and then headed up to SoHo to get a few items.  I almost bought a light fixture with a dragon silhouette at Pearl River Imports... Maybe next time.  (Oddly, my apartment has good natural light, but very poor artificial light.)

No comments: