Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sky Deck!

The CityPass got us expedited entrance, which was nice.





This could so easily be a Sky Cell a la G.R.R. Martin.... 


We all tried stepping out onto the clear balcony.  It was an interesting case study of mind over matter - intellectually, we all knew that it was perfectly safe.  Far heavier folks than we had stood, probably even jumped up and down, in that very spot!  But emotionally, of course, it's a different story - irrational fear can easily grip one's imagination and run away with it.*

The girls were initially a bit cautious, but quickly adapted.  They and B seemed to be entirely unfazed by the experience at the end of the day.



After dinner, we watched The Never-Ending Story, which the girls enjoyed.  I'd seen it before, but it is not necessarily a movie that ages well or bears repeat viewing as an adult.  B and R got some much needed rest during the movie!

===
FN* Which of course recalls a previous post:
Lewis states that "The battle is between faith and reason on the one side and emotion and imagination on the other." I find two of Lewis's examples intriguing.
"For example, my reason is perfectly convinced by good evidence that anaesthetics do not smother me and that properly trained surgeons do not start operating until I am unconscious. But that does not alter the fact that when they have me down on the table and clap their horrible mask over my face, a mere childish panic begins inside me. I start thinking I am going to choke, and I am afraid they will start cutting me up before I am properly under. In other words, I lose my faith in anaesthetics. It is not reason that is taking away my faith: to the contrary, my faith is based on reason."
"Or take a boy learning to swim. His reason knows perfectly well that an unsupported human body will not necessarily sink in water: he has seen dozens of people float and swim. But the whole question is whether he will be able to go on believing this when the instructor takes away his hand and leaves him unsupported in the water -- or whether he will suddenly cease to believe it and get in a fright and go down."
C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, Chapter 11.

No comments: