Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Done, done, and done.

Well, I got an acknowledgment from the publisher - so I know they haven't  rejected my submission out of hand, totally unread.  That's a relief, since my waking non-work hours have been devoted nearly exclusively to this project for almost a month! Now I'm hoping to get some unfiltered opinions from two friends who were curious to see what I submitted.

As of the morning of the last day for voting, my entry into a fiction contest (submitted two months ago) was lagging behind the leading entries by 10-20 votes. Each.  So, yes, I'm fairly sure the two votes I managed to attract on the merits did not ensure victory. Still, it was interesting to see the comments - people complained that I wasn't explicit, in areas where I was deliberately ambiguous. (Areas where I felt clarity was unnecessary and potentially distracting - but others disagreed.  Oh well. Live and learn, I suppose.) And at least now there is no more need for secrecy, since the voting has closed.

And at work, a project that has been hanging over my head for some months is now submitted; I went over it with the person in charge, and beefed things up as needed, and now it is out of my hands.  This feels good.

No comments: