Sunday, October 13, 2013

Cold Spring: Day Hike

Today's route was an easy loop: Washburn (white) to Undercliff (yellow) to Brook (red) to Cornish (blue).  I found myself breaking into a run from time to time on the uphills and the downhills.  Whenever I spotted other hikers, I returned to a sedate walk.  

Even so, I did take a spectacular fall in front of a group of three college kids - simply stepped on some scree and my legs slid out from under me.  My dignity was a little sprained, but otherwise no injuries to report.  

Ye olde sun-filled leaf-carpeted trail.

A little shock of red on a single branch.

Entrance to the Cornish Trail

Not one of the better maintained sections at the moment...

None shall pass!

Ivy seems to turn earlier (and brighter!) than other foliage.


Q.E.D.

The hike went really quickly - it took only about two hours.  So I had time to buy new hiking shoes on sale at Hudson Outfitters on my way to the train.

In the city, I went to Rickshaw Dumplings for a quick bite, then headed toward one of those high-end gadget stores to see what they have on tap for aesthetically pleasing multi-device chargers.  Answer: Nothing.  So I went home and rigged something up temporarily (using the perfectly nice box my laptop came in many moons ago).  It occurs to me now, I should have made a charging stand out of Legos.


I'm not sure what gave me the idea.

No comments: