Saturday, January 25, 2014

Gaultier in Brooklyn

A fascinating exhibit - there's even one piece on display from his first show as a cash-strapped artist, and all I can say about that is, it's amazing what he was able to do with straw placemats.   

Some works appear to be deliberately provocative (even courting ugliness or repulsion); some left me indifferent; but still others tapped into the lines and shapes of classical beauty in ways that utterly delighted me.

Coolest sweater dress ever.  Beautiful!

Silk with the look of denim.

Love the shape of the skirt

Not entirely practical for everyday wear,
but I love how the lacing tracks the spine

This was a greenish-yellow rope, snake-like

Denim exploding into ostrich feathers

From the mermaid collection - love the draping

I'm not sure if the veins are medically accurate...

OK, I've found my wedding dress!  

Love the chopped/woven look of the silk impersonating denim

Madonna in classical pose

No comments: