Sunday, January 12, 2014

New York Guitar Festival

Friday night, I went to the opening concert of the New York Guitar Festival, in which Pepe Romero played Bach.  For part of the concert, I chose an obstructed view seat.  This helped me focus on the quality of the sound - how and when does a guitar channel a harpsichord?  Listening without my eyes, the twang of guitar string was more noticeable in the lower ranges, where the string could freely vibrate (as opposed to the higher notes which were more clipped and controlled).  And from time to time I could hear the quick slithering of the fingers on the strings between notes, or the sound of a pluck, rather than a plink.  It was very interesting!   But an all-Bach solo program can grow wearisome over the course of an evening, no matter how well played.  I couldn't help thinking that the encore, in which Mr. Romero played a piece written for guitar, had a joie de vivre far better suited to the instrument.

No comments: