Thursday, August 31, 2006

An Evening at the 79th Street Boat Basin Cafe

Approaching the 79th Street Boat Basin Cafe from the east, and going down around to the left side, I walked by some window boxes ... and right into a private party. No one challenged me. I probably could have joined them - they had a lot of burgers on the grill.

But instead, I went down to the water to wait for my party. Here's a view up the Hudson to the G.W. Bridge. I like all the sailboats quietly hanging out there -- a far cry from the summer of 1776, when John Jay (later first Chief Justice of NY's highest court and first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court) taught himself all about the law by waging guerilla warfare on two British ships which had made the mistake of trespassing on the Hudson. He couldn't just requisition the needed supplies, of course, so he had to ride off to Connecticut and use all his best advocacy skills to convince his neighbor colony/state to "lend" him some cannons etc.


There is a little bit of wooded area next to the Boat Basin Cafe. I liked this image because it reminded me of favorite my Mac screen saver. (You know, I think this means I'm spending too much time with computers these days.) See if you can pick out which of these three pictures is of my screensaver:


OK, I guess it was pretty obvious which was which. But still, they all evoke a similar feeling in me.

The sky kept changing. Dramatic streaks of gray with a bit of yellow as the sun set:

But a bit later, after we were seated and enjoying some drinks (mine was "electric lemonade" which looked like Windex but smelled a lot better and tasted more like sugar than anything else), the sky was transformed into a series of spectacular combinations of pink, orange, red, and purple.

Even as the light continued to fade, and the colors were less vibrant, it was still pretty.

Just as magical after dark:

And some unusal light configurations:

Alas, I've seen no fireflies this year. But the twinkling lights of NYC almost make up for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go to Central Park at dusk. I've seen lots of fireflies there at the end of the media challenges.