Friday, August 18, 2006

Shakespeare & the Hudson

At my new job, I've been enjoying some early evenings (you mean I can really leave at 5:30 p.m.??) and some nice strolls along the river at lunch time.

New York Classical Theater appears to have taken over where my beloved Gorilla Repertory Theater left off: free Shakespeare in the city parks ... on the run. Tonight I saw The Comedy of Errors, which is familiar to me although I have not seen it very often. The humor was played very broadly (for widest appeal), and the characterizations are not particularly subtle (it is especially difficult for the female characters, who lose dramatic range in order to be heard), but it was a lot of fun. One character, who plays twins, has a blast fighting himself -- not the first time I've seen someone undertake this feat, but it was well staged with a strategically placed tree. There was quite a large crowd, too. Not everyone was really prepared to race for the new front row at each change of scene. All the better for me! I got great seats every time! Afterward, basking in the cool evening air, I walked from 103rd Street down to Times Square (a mere 60 blocks). If you want to check out the play, it's on Thursday-Sunday at 7 p.m. this week & next week. Take the B or C up to 103rd Street, and enter on the west side. Someone should be there handing out programs and pointing you in the right direction. Or you may notice the migrating crowds. Did I mention that it is free? Slapstick humor awaits....

As for the serene joys of downtown by daylight, here's a short photo essay.

Down by the Hudson River, near the Irish Hunger Memorial, this plant looked like a modern sculpture to me at first in the noonday sun.


A glorious late summer afternoon, as filtered by the WFC.


A quiet evening, far from the madding crowd.

The light fades, and the lights turn green. A nice effect.

No comments: