Saturday, September 16, 2006

Julian Beever - Optical Illusionist


My grandfather recently sent around some amazing pictures, 3-D realistic pavement art attributed to Julian Beever. (In the picture above, he is interacting with a seal who has come up from the arctic underground.)

I thought at first that this was an urban legend, but the guy is not on snopes.com - apparently, he is for real.

Here is the artist, awaiting rescue by Batman & Robin:


Some very cool pictures. You should definitely check out his web site, where he takes some pictures of his pavement art from the "wrong" perspective, so you can see his technique. I love the repeated illusion of stripping away the pavement surface to "reveal" an underground world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, those are great! I saw an article about him a few years ago that showed some pictures, but I really like these new ones.

LeesMyth said...

I owe it all to my 90+ grandfather. Oddly, he met his most recent girlfriend in a computer lab. She is almost 30 years younger (yikes) but was totally impressed that he was computer-savvy at his age....