Monday, January 15, 2007

Progress

Looks like I ran* a bit over 1 mile today when I suddenly started feeling really ill - the details are a little unpleasant - so at about the 1.4 mile mark I went in to a coffee shop and ordered a capuccino. After the break, however, I went back in to the park and ran another half mile. That felt much better, and my iPod got to some great tunes. It was good to run in the light drizzle, and good to find out that I could resume (and enjoy) running after a forced break.

Although I have long been an advocate of shuffling songs (ever since I got my 5-CD disc changer in the early 90's), and I still shuffle songs using iTunes on my computer, I actually do not like the shuffle function on my iPod. I find it is too slow in between songs that way. So I'm going through my entire iPod song list in semi-random alphabetical order, choosing a starting letter each day that I run. Today was "L" ("Land of the Living") although I reached "P" (a "Pure Energy" medley of songs from cassette). When I get to "T" it will be very exciting and unpredictable, because there are so many songs that start with "The".

Tonight, I'll see Charlotte's Web, which should be fun.

*I use the verb "run" in the loosest possible sense. I'm not setting any speed records here... it is at best an incredibly slow jog. The only people I pass are people who are actually walking. My goals do not involve speed, but rather frequency (once per week - preferably Saturdays, with the occasional Wednesday thrown in) and distance (1 mile comfortably by the end of February, all the way around the park by June, and 5 miles at a stretch by the end of the year).

3 comments:

Runner NYC said...

Good job! I'm betting that you'll be meeting your goals sooner than you think!

LeesMyth said...

Well, if I meet my distance goals, I'll be stuck working on speed. Ick!!

Runner NYC said...

Tell me about it! But, the more you run, the faster you'll get anyway, even without speedwork!