Monday, August 13, 2007

Summer Sunset Rooftop Yoga Fades to Gray

One last time, I ascended to the rooftop playground of Greenwich House for the Monday night sunset rooftop yoga sessions with Laughing Lotus. This prime real estate comes complete with a spongy roof, monkey bars, a colorful slide/tube/bridge apparatus, and water tower.


The walls and the monkey bars were bedecked with flowers, and 40 yogis of varying levels laid out their mats on the spongy roof, closely packed.

Things started slowly as we flowed through pose after pose, repeating with variations. As usual, the practice soon became very challenging. Luckily, after the first hour, we took a break for group inversions. First, we watched the demonstration as the co-teachers helped a volunteer from the audience do a handstand and then arch her back and bend her knees into a scorpion pose.


It looked pretty cool, so I tried it in my group. It was easy because I trusted my fellow yogis not to let me fall. We finished with back bends, twists, and then one of my absolute favorites, the lying-peacefully-on-your-back-letting-the-breezes-waft-over-you pose.

As the days have gotten longer, the sessions have ended in darkness, lit only by the stars of the New York skyline above and the lights of Greenwich Village below.


It is a good workout and very relaxing. Namaste.

2 comments:

Runner NYC said...

I didn't know you took yoga. Good job on the scorpion move! I don't think I could do a handstand long enough to get into scorpion pose!

LeesMyth said...

I only began this year - it's been maybe 15 classes so far. The handstand was easy with spotters bracketing my legs with their arms.