Sunday, November 18, 2007

Long Road to Turkey Day

I do not particularly recommend that NYC-based, Florida-bound travelers take precisely the route I took this year. I flew from JFK to Houston, then drove to San Antonio (it took about 5 hours in a torrential downpour with a navigator whose modus operandi was characterized by frequent stops to ask for directions). At San Antonio, I stayed at the Pear Tree Inn, which had a somewhat musty smell in the corridors, but was incredibly convenient to a traveler who needed to leave for the airport at 5:15 a.m. The Pear Tree Inn turns out to be a bit like a hostel, in a good way, except with private rooms. When I arrived, some families were using the bellhop luggage carts to wheel in a large amount of groceries; teenagers or college kids were sitting at the cafeteria style tables under the watchful eye of reception; and I was able to check my email for free on the hotel's computer. They said the breakfast was available from 7 to 10 a.m., but when I came down at 5 a.m. to call the free shuttle to the airport, there was already a tremendous spread: coffee, juice, cereal, milk, yogurt, bananas, apples, toast, etc. There was also a microwave, and this initially mysterious device:

It is a waffle iron. And the plastic cups in the ice bucket contain premixed waffle batter. I thought that was so incredibly gracious and sweet. Unfortunately, the shuttle to the airport arrived before I could even think about trying it out!

From San Antonio, I flew back to Houston (?!) on my way to Florida. (Ironic, but I couldn't get a direct flight.) My plane was delayed, so it wasn't clear that I would make the connection - but then it turned out the connection was delayed too. It would have been nice if they'd mentioned this on the flight status monitors. Grrr.

Then at last, bliss. I spent a lot of time relaxing and reading Rising Tide (recommended by runnernyc) or looking out at the water and sky.

There were some interesting clouds at sunset:
And anoles indoors on the tiled porch:

A scene from my first rollerblading jaunt, toward the lighthouse:


It was good to be home.

No comments: