Thursday, January 17, 2008

Assume Nothing

People had some interesting stories to share today - a nearly armed confrontation with La Leche League among them - but my favorite conversation was the one that took place when I was ready to close up shop for the evening.

I got to the glass doors, and immediately spun around to go retrieve an umbrella from my office.
SG: Is it raining?

Me: I don't know. There are people wandering about with umbrellas. And the streets are wet. But there could be another explanation.

OK, it seemed funnier at the time. It's been a long week. It felt like Friday on Tuesday, and it's still only Thursday now. But it's also been a good week, with yoga and NM's class Monday, my first-ever Knicks game Tuesday, LB's concert Wednesday. Tonight I wanted to crash at 7 p.m. but am trying to stay up until 9:30 if possible.

It was all Brooklynites at the concert yesterday, on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. The other three agreed about the "One Trip" rule -- you only make one trip to Manhattan per day; once you go back to Brooklyn, you stay put. Seems to me I routinely violate this rule, especially now that I have the luxury of going home at 5 p.m. If I'm meeting people at 7 or 8, that gives me time to go home and change, check emails, and get back to Manhattan. That's why God invented the 30-day unlimited ride Metrocard. (Let me clarify: the concept is divine; the price may be diabolical.)

No comments: