Sunday, April 04, 2010

Easter

I hosted Easter at my place again this year, with 15 people all told. We were on borrowed chairs and floor cushions as well as my normal accoutrement of stools and chairs, clumped around cobbled-together tables. It was a blast.

Jee brought some eggs she'd hand-dyed with organic dyes; I'm glad I checked with her about whether they were primarily for eating or decoration. Turns out they're hard-boiled and very much needed to be refrigerated. To save space, I put them in with my 3 regular eggs:

Although I have to admit their original "nest" was pretty cool:

I decorated the mantel with care, but I knew the Easter Bunny was not going to make it down the chimney this year. The eggs in this picture were a gift from my mom many years ago; let's just say, these eggs are purely decorative. She blew them out while they were raw, then glued fabric on them. Pretty darn cool. She also made the fabric -- and slightly cubist -- bunny rabbit on the left.

What I didn't realize until well into the evening was that my Easter Island heads were actually rather appropriate to the occasion as well! Here's another closeup of eggy gifts from my mom:

This was a gift from Seth many moons ago, on his return from New Zealand. He had insisted on meeting me for lunch the day after he got back -- but was so jetlagged that he was an hour late! The waiter gave him heck for it, which I thought was awfully sweet. I also liked the sheep (even though we didn't have lamb this year).

The menu was Cuban ropa vieja (traditional beef recipe from Oprah's magazine O, but I threw in a sweet potato as well just for kicks), chicken ropa vieja (from allrecipes. com), and chickpea masala (also from O). People loved the beef dish, but only the chickpea masala dish was finished up. Then again, I did cook 7 pounds of meat - there was no way my guests were finishing all that in one evening!

U-chan and E-san lingered after everyone else had gone, and it felt like the party was just beginning! It's so good to spend time with friends.

No comments: