Friday, April 02, 2010

Hamlet

Of my two live operas this season, I definitely preferred tonight's Hamlet.

I have to confess I'd lazily assumed it was a Verdi opera (heck, he wrote Macbeth, Otello, and Falstaff - all of which I love), but it was by a French composer, Ambroise Thomas. Oops.

It was lovely - powerful performances, enough drama to make up for the discomfort of the nosebleed seats.*

The women (Gertrude and Ophélie) were especially good. The role of Ophélie was originally to be played by Natalie Dessay, whom I'd seen in Lucia di Lammermoor, and that was one of the reasons I chose this opera. Her replacement, Marlis Petersen, was amazing as well.

I might sèche mon cours on April 24 to see this again in the movies.

FN* After the pleasure of watching the simulcast of Carmen at BAM -- such comfortable seats! such a great view, with no one blocking me! and backstage interviews w/ Renée Fleming! -- it's even harder to put up with the rather painful Family Circle option. I now suspect it's the intense physical discomfort from the ergonomically-incorrect seats, compounded by the strain of trying to see the distant stage around or over the person in front of me, that has caused me to get so drowsy when I see operas in the Family Circle.

No comments: