Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Birthday!

Over my extended birthday weekend, two friends independently organized two "rival" birthday celebrations.  This suited me fine, of course, since they were on separate days ... and I like to celebrate throughout my Birthday Month.

My friend Emi hosted a lovely dinner party with mostly small dishes (delicious kebabs, corn on the half cob, edamame, etc.) so that we could also play mahjong.  It was so much fun!  Although surprisingly, we scratched maybe 3 out of 5 games.  I'm not sure if there was something about our configuration (who was upstream from whom) that stymied us.  (Carolyn was upstream from Emi, who was upstream from U-chan, who was upstream from me.  Although I must confess Carolyn is the only one of us who has a real strategy; if any of the rest of us block someone, it's a matter of sheer luck!)  It was so wonderful to spend time with good friends and relax with good food, wine and cake.

On my birthday itself, G-san treated me to reflexology / foot massage in Chinatown, which was such bliss!  I didn't let the guy do full-out proper reflexology (which hurts like heck even under the best of circumstances) since my right big toe still feels a little sensitive.  But I could have stayed there for ages, it felt so wonderful to have my feet treated right.

Right after that, I walked over to a local restaurant where Patricia had organized a celebratory dinner. I'd only ever been there for brunch before (their vanilla bean french toast is to die for), but it proved to be a nice place for dinner as well.  It was a lovely evening with some dear friends - filled with laughter and merriment.

I am so grateful for the friends who make life in NYC worthwhile.



No comments: