Thursday, October 13, 2011

Birthday Celebrations

We got together to celebrate two birthdays.  What bliss!  It was so good to see everyone, and I felt so connected.  In fact, we were even more connected than usual, since the girls had walkie-talkies.  We gave each other code names.  Mine was "Ebb" (or at least I hope it was "Ebb" as in tides, rather than "Eb" as in Ebenezer -- hmm, well, better not to ask is my motto).

I was thrilled to learn that Ruth had read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight with the girls.  I had told them an off-the-cuff version of the story (unfortunately bowlderized to omit anything that might possibly be controversial since I hadn't cleared it with their parents first).  I'd love to see the edition they read -- I'm imagining perhaps a kids' version, since the original Middle English can be a bit rough going -- and see how the material was adapted.  

Ruth made a scrumptious birthday cake, and all the birthday celebrants were plied with wonderful cards and gifts.  I gave the girls an articulated skeleton for a pre-Halloween surprise, and stalled on my mom's gift while waiting for inspiration to strike.  (Good news: Inspiration has now struck, and I will be able to give my mom a present less than two months late, and basically just in time to run out of ideas for Christmas.)

While R+B went on a steep 9-mile hike up to the top of Mt. Liberty (I think), my parents and I hung out with the girls. 



In our family, everyone has a job - even on holiday.

"Eleanor" was tasked with the hard labor of moving stones in a culvert.








Keep stirring - don't let it stick.



"Tiger", by contrast, only had to stir the river:










Victory at last!



The girls went barefoot on the icy rocks and in the water (their choice - we totally provided shoes for them to wear).





Even when the water is very, very cold, bathing suits are de rigeur.  At least, if you are under 30.  




The Chef


Others of us found fleece vests over long sleeve shirts were very comfortable.










The Eraser Queen





Indoors, we played some games, like Pillow, in which I try to relax quietly on the couch, only to be surprised that the wonderfully soft "pillow" on which I hoped to rest has a mind and will of its own.

Outdoors, we played Bear, in which I as a perennially hungry Bear chase a Snow Leopard and a Tiger who - in this particular instance - are able to coordinate with walkie-talkies to escape (how is this fair?!), thus repeatedly thwarting my last hope of a tender and juicy meal.


The Chef


In addition to feasting on birthday cake and unwrapping presents, the whole gang went out for dinner, watched a video about dams, put together a puzzle, and just generally enjoyed each other's company.   It was a wonderful time, accept no substitutes! (I think maybe that will be my new motto.)

No comments: