Sunday, October 23, 2011

Word-Frequency Images

I was mucking about with the wordle program two weeks ago, and created some images based on prior blog posts.  The program allows you to choose the colors and orientation of the words, as well as the desired degree of smoothness.

In one of my first efforts, I allowed the program to select words that frequently appeared in my most recent posts (I chose the option to automatically exclude very common words), I selected my own color scheme and random word orientation (rather than horizontal/vertical), and voila:


Later, I generated this one using only posts from my trip to Wales, and I deliberately excluded some specific words that didn't evoke the particular experience, to try to make Words such as "Cardiff" and "Wales" more prominent:

The customization options are certainly very addictive.  For example, you can design your own color scheme (choosing how many colors to choose, and which ones) and then decide how much variation to allow.  Then - even after selecting your desired option - you can click through repeatedly to see how it turns out....

No comments: