Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cardinals!!

I did a Nelsonville-based loop: Undercliff (Y) to Washburn (W) over Mt Taurus to Nelsonville (G). Including the walk to and from downtown Cold Spring, it was 7.5 miles total. It took me 3.5 hours, including photo stops.

There were some lovely gardens and flowering trees as I walked up the main drag to Nelsonville.



Before I even got to the trailhead, I saw two cardinals.  They were rather camera-shy; every time I got close to setting up for a good shot, they moved to another tree, or behind another branch.  I was still able to observe them for a quite a while....

Cardinals

He is taunting me.


A whimsical Easter egg and anti-gravity flowerpot display.

This reminded me of a friend's super-cool poem about green dots and Seurats.... 

A few violets sprang up from time to time, mid-trail

A cost-saving measure?  Or sheer apathy?

I don't think I've seen a tree trunk quite like this one before...

Contrail...

Sun shines through the new leaves
I also spent a fair amount of time watching 5 or 6 hawks flying around at the top of a hill.  One flew so low, it cast a giant shadow over me as it passed directly overhead.  One of these days, I hope to capture that - simply amazing.

I stopped again at the Foundry Cafe, and got the middle eastern salad platter.  The hummus was really, really good; the rest of the selections were only so-so.

On the way to the train, I stopped to capture more garden images:



No comments: