Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Connections Writ Small

On my way home the other night, after a long day of traveling, I saw a little girl (maybe 3 years old) sitting across from me on the subway car with her family.  She seemed to be with her grandmother, her parents, and a baby in a stroller.  The parents were focused on the baby (not that it was fussing or demanding attention - that's just where their focus was).

The little girl was so cute, lively and alert, I couldn't help smiling when I saw her - but of course I immediately reverted to "subway neutral."

The girl then turned to her grandmother and asked, pointing at me, "What's her name?" I couldn't hear the response, but I'm sure that the grandmother was trying to instruct her on the subtleties of subway etiquette (don't know, don't ask).

Later, bored with reading the subway advertisements, I closed my eyes briefly, and the little girl said "She's sleeping!"  Sure enough, she was pointing at me.

I just smiled and said "Almost!  It's getting close to bed-time."  And another tired-looking person sitting across from me opened her own eyes and smiled.

No comments: