Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Words, Words, Words

By far, the most popular books of the week were four miniatures by Maurice Sendak: One Was Johnny, Alligators All Around, Chicken Soup with Rice, and Pierre.

I'm not sure any one of them was more beloved than the others, although I got a lot of laughs from both girls when I started messing around with the text of One Was Johnny (I was substituting a rhyming word for the last word on each page).

Clara also really liked it when I mixed up the style for Pierre by repeating the "I don't CARE!" refrain in an angry voice (rather than an apathetic, whiny or supercilious voice).


My grandfather thought that part of the charm of reading to children is the one-on-one attention, and I think he has a point. But I also caught Clara reading to herself on the beach. (Or at least, she was quietly going through the motions while the rest of us were collecting shells. If she really does know how to read, she's keeping it a secret for the moment.)



Me, I read most of Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde (turns out I really prefer the Nursery Crimes Division stories to the Thursday Next series) and leafed through some more of Le Ton Beau de Marot by Douglas Hofstadter.

We played a few rounds of boggle (my brother is now the undisputed champion) and solved a NYT acrostic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love both of the Jasper Fforde series. I've been haunting Borders to see if a new book is out yet. So far, no luck.

The girls are adorable!