Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fishkill Ridge

This was my first venture to Fishkill Ridge loop.  Most of it was in shade, through the forest.  Blueberries were starting to ripen, and I ate quite a few!  There were long grasses much of the way. My legs were bare so I checked for ticks afterward (didn't see any).




Flowers at the trailhead

A friend for the Flying Ford Anglia?

Waterfall!  I chilled my feet in the cold pools on the way back





Yum!








Rocking chair summit




Dozer Junction



On his way to Toad Hall?








After a long and leisurely dinner at the Beacon Falls Cafe (same server as last time), I caught the 9 p.m. train.



Bannerman's Castle, from the train.


I was so tired, I slept most of the way back to NYC.  The main hall of Grand Central Terminal was far brighter than I'd ever remembered it, and for a heartbeat I had the sense of a sudden and mysterious shift in time (as if it were broad daylight).  Apparently they were setting up for a photo or film shoot.  I took advantage of the lighting to take a few pictures of the ceiling which ordinarily require a far better camera than mine:





Accidentally turned off the pedometer at the 4.5 hour mark, 8.22 miles.  The total trip was about 7 hours (including all stops except dinner), and I believe 13+ miles.  I missed a turn at one point and ended up on a very wide and well-trodden footpath for long time.  This is actually an issue at several points on the trail, where a clear footpath appears to continue the official trail straight ahead.

Wore toe shoes for the hike, and it got painful after a while - particularly on downhills.  I'm thinking 5 miles is the upper limit if there is steep terrain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning photographs Lady!!
Bill.

LeesMyth said...

Thanks, Bill!! It was a spectacular day. :)