Thursday, June 08, 2017

A Trick of the Light

I was out walking on a heavily overcast evening, when suddenly I looked up and - behold! - Litchfield Villa was illuminated!


My first impression was that someone had turned floodlights on the mansion -- not something I'd seen before -- and floodlights of a peculiar intensity, to boot.  This was no ordinary lighting scheme, where you can discern where the individual lightbulbs are.  The strength and seamlessness of the lighting might perhaps be appropriate to cinema, if they were filming a major motion picture, but no film crews were in evidence.  The warm, golden aura struck a chord in me and I gazed in wonder.  

As I looked around, I realized somehow that it must be the setting sun, far in the west, hidden entirely from view behind clouds and buildings, yet reaching out as with a searchlight for this particuar edifice.  

I headed a block or two west, noticing the haphazard illumination of certain treetops and, occasionally, the crown of a brownstone, then turned north.  

Mid-block, it was again dark and grim to the west: 

looking west
 And yet yellow glow graced the east:

looking east - long shadows of leaves from the setting sun

looking east - the warmth of this yellow-gold was achingly beautiful


No comments: