Saturday, February 10, 2018

Bilbo Fades

We meet Bilbo three times after he relinquishes the Ring.  His deterioration is evident, and heart-breaking, but portrayed with great gentleness.

Rivendell I
Suddenly [Frodo] noticed, not far from the further end of the fire, a small dark figure seated on a stool with his back propped against a pillar. [...] Frodo wondered whether he was ill (if people were ever ill in Rivendell) [...].  His head seemed sunk in sleep on his breast, and a fold of his dark cloak was drawn over his face.
Bilbo may sleep more than he once did, but he was able to visit Frodo often during his convalescence.  And he is spirited enough when awake:
'But as for the feast, I don't go in for such things much now.  And I had something else to do.' 
'What were you doing?' 
'Why, sitting and thinking.  I do a lot of that nowadays [...].  Wake up, indeed!' he said, cocking an eye at Elrond.  There was a bright twinkle in it and no sign of sleepiness that Frodo could see. 'Wake up! I was not asleep, Master Elrond.  [...] [Y]ou have disturbed me – in the middle of making up a song."
In truth, he is still writing poetry and engaging with others at this time.  He is even able to volunteer to take the Ring and finish it (though predictably no one will let him).

Rivendell II
They found him all alone in his little room.  It was littered with papers and pens and pencils; but Bilbo was sitting in a chair before a small bright fire.  He looked very old, but peaceful, and sleepy. 
* * * 
[T]hey sat much with their old friend, who spent most of his time now in his room, except at meals.  For these he was still very punctual as a rule, and he seldom failed to wake up in time for them.  Sitting round the fire they told him in turn all that they could remember of their journeys and adventures.  At first he pretended to take some notes; but he often fell asleep; and when he woke he would say: 'How splendid! How wonderful! But where were we?' 
The only part that seemed really to rouse him and hold his attention was the account of the crowning and marriage of Aragorn. 'I was invited to the wedding, of course,' he said. 'And I have waited for it long enough. But somehow, when it came to it, I found I had so much to do here; and packing is such a bother.'
So we see that Bilbo still makes excuses and attempts to save face – but it is less plausible than before. Much of the gentleness is in the other hobbits' reactions; they play along and go on with the story "from the point where he had begun to nod."

Still, though he forgets some things – gifts he has already given to Frodo, and the disposition of the Ring – he is sharp and shrewd enough when it comes to it, with plenty of advice for Merry and Pippin, and a friendly interest in Sam's possible marriage.  Though even here, in the midst of gift-giving, "suddenly he nodded and went to sleep for a little; and when he woke up again he said: 'Now where were we? Yes, of course, giving presents.'"  It takes more effort of will for him to focus and remember things, but he still can.

More excuses, even when expressing slight jealousy (!) of Frodo's adventures: "Anyway it's too late now; and really I think it's much more comfortable to sit here and hear about it all."

And in the reprise of his walking-song, he recognizes that he will "Let others follow [the Road] who can!," as "I at last with weary feet / Will turn towards the lighted inn, / My evening-rest and sleep to meet."  And he falls asleep again as he murmurs the last words.

Sam remarks softly that Bilbo has not done – and will likely never do – much writing at this point, which seems to rouse Bilbo to defend himself once again:
'You see, I am getting so sleepy,' he said. 'And when I have time to write, I only really like writing poetry.'
He asks Frodo to take all his notes and paper and "tidy things up a bit" --
'You see, I haven't much time for the selection and the arrangement and all that.  Get Sam to help, and when you've knocked things into shape, come back, and I'll run over it.  I won't be too critical.'
Frodo agrees, of course, but they all know the truth – a truth that is only underlined by Elrond's words "I think, Frodo, that maybe you will not need to come back, unless you come very soon."  These words feel like the shadow of death, though Elrond clearly expects Bilbo to be spared for at least a year, as they will make their way through the woods of the Shire on their way to the Grey Havens "when the leaves are gold before they fall."

In the Woods of the Shire, When the Leaves Are Gold Before They Fall

Bilbo is "on a small grey pony, and seeming to nod in his sleep."  He awakens and recognizes Frodo:
'Hullo, Frodo!' he said. 'Well, I have passed the Old Took today!  So that's settled.  And now I think I am quite ready to go on another journey.  Are you coming?' 
'Yes, I am coming,' said Frodo. 'The Ring-bearers should go together.'

* * *

I don't really have anything to say about this.  I'm crying too much.


1 comment:

Thomas Hillman said...

in this last reprise of the Road song, his feet too are weary, as Frodo's were when he sang it in 1.iii.