Friday, February 16, 2018

Prisoner of Zenda

So this is my first read-through of Anthony Hope's The Prisoner of Zenda (1894).  I've missed all the various movie adaptations as well, so I'm coming at this fresh.  Thirteen chapters in, it's a light-hearted adventure -- an English gentleman, who is distantly related to Ruritanian royalty due to a great-grandmother's weakness for gingers, sneaks off to see the coronation and ends up swapping in for the prince at the last minute.

Excerpts from Chapters 2 and 5 may give a general sense of the tone:
My saucy conductor, looking over her shoulder at me as she preceded me upstairs, said:
“There’s no pleasing Master Johann for one of your colour, sir.”
“He prefers yours, maybe?” I suggested.
“I meant, sir, in a man,” she answered, with a coquettish glance.
“What,” asked I, taking hold of the other side of the candlestick, “does colour matter in a man?”
“Nay, but I love yours—it’s the Elphberg red.”
“Colour in a man,” said I, “is a matter of no more moment than that!”—and I gave her something of no value.
ch. 2

"Perhaps I ought to say that I was dressed all in white, except my boots. I wore a silver helmet with gilt ornaments, and the broad ribbon of the Rose looked well across my chest. I should be paying a poor compliment to the King if I did not set modesty aside and admit that I made a very fine figure." 
ch. 5

As it happens, I've been working my way through Helen Cooper's The English Romance in Time (looking at memes from the medieval romance genre), so this almost dovetails a bit with her view of romance as buttressing claims of succession and usurpers. And of course it's always nice to see a ginger get a starring role!


P.S. Oh, and I just ran into this gem in Chapter 17 (our hero is overhearing a quarrel between the two chief villains):
“Does your Highness threaten me?” asked Rupert.
“A threat is more warning than most men get from me.”
“Yet,” observed Rupert, “Rudolf Rassendyll has been much threatened, and yet lives!”

No comments: