Saturday, February 24, 2018

Bone-Sigh and Bend It Like Beckham

It was overcast, but not really raining, so we went to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden after a few rounds of Rummikub and Ticket to Ride Europe.  The first and most important stop was the bonsai display.  Like most Americans, I want to pronounce it "Bonzai!!!!" - but yet again the Garden informs me that it is properly pronounced bone-sigh.  Le sigh.


Japanese Apricot - a little past-peak, by the evidence of fallen petals

Root Over Stone is my favorite style

a work in progress

forest style, in a slice of turf on a thin rock shell

I could totally grow a cherry tree in my flat!!!


Afterward, we visited all the connected greenhouse enclosures -- the hot and humid orchid room and the other specialized environments (temperate, tropical, and desert).

camera fogged up immediately among
the orchids

Baboon Flower


In the Desert Room

Lithop (aka "Living Stone")

Crocuses in a field of snowdrops



Pigeons on an Eagle - victory, indeed!!

We went out for Chinese food for lunch, but stayed in with homemade lasagne and ginger carrot lemon soup for dinner.  Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies for dessert, followed by a movie.  I haven't watched "Bend It Like Beckham" in years (someone borrowed my DVD and apparently never gave it back), but it was every bit as wonderful as I remembered – and I didn't even remember everything.  The soundtrack (which I'd bought almost immediately after watching the movie) is still lovely.  

For second dessert (is that a thing?), we had raspberry sorbet.  It was good enough that my guests didn't mind my launching into song:  "She ate some raaaaaaspberry sorbet, the kind you buy at a grocery store.  Raaaspberry sorbet! And for second dessert she wouldn't need much more..."

No comments: