Monday, September 17, 2018

A Whirlwind Trip to Oxford

One of 12 posts about my 2018 UK Trip (Glasgow + West Highland Way + Oxford)
UK 2018 Trip Navigation:  [First Post[Next Post]

I took the train down from Glasgow for an overnight trip to Oxford.  We were quite late leaving GCT; apparently, the scheduled train manager didn't show up, so they finally commandeered someone else who'd arrived early for her shift.  I was hoping we'd make up time en route, but we didn't.  And eventually we were so late that they stopped holding the connecting train for us and instead made an unscheduled stop at a totally different station.  It was a little stressful, esp. since I didn't know if they would honor my completely wrong ticket.  (Not to mention that I'd lost the benefit of my reserved seats!)  Fortunately, they did not even check my ticket at that phase.  I got to Oxford an hour late, so I caught a taxi directly to the Bodleian to use my timed Tolkien ticket.


a view from the train: farmhouse

a view from the train: walled pastures
After the exhibit, I checked in to the guest quarters at Somerville College (the wonderful suggestion of Kat Sas), then set out to wander around the streets for a bit.  The light was gorgeous.

Oxford shimmering in late-afternoon sunlight

moon and contrails over Cornmarket Street
























As evening fell, I timed the walk from the Bodleian to the train station to make sure I'd allow enough time to get back the next day.
Since it was a there-and-back-again walk, I paid particular attention to the restaurants and picked out a Thai place to favor with my patronage.


UK 2018 Trip Navigation:  [First Post[Next Post]

No comments: