Saturday, February 17, 2007

Bouley and MJ

I enjoyed lunch at Bouley with some friends, the first time I've been there since summer 1998. The cheapest entree is $38 -- which just happens to be the same price as the entire 5-course tasting menu. So, I ordered 5 courses -- an appropriate way to usher in the Year of the Pig, I suppose. First course was a "canape" which looked more like a small soup, due to the almond froth on top. Next up was sashimi - plenty of small cubes of raw fish, pushed into a small perfectly shaped mound, with a few tiny cubes of truffle-infused gelatin. (I got this for my fish-eating friends to share; they got the shrimp and scallops in an herbal ocean broth.) Third was a delightful pepper-encrusted chicken on artichoke risotto with something else that I can't remember. Fourth was a small scoop of unusually flavored sherbert, with a blood orange sauce. Followed by an almost-gooey warm chocolate cake. That, of course, does not include the various fresh-baked breads (I chose a small baguette, an apple roll, and a slice of saffron walnut bread), the small cookies and chocolates (which we did not touch), and the additional multi-layered peach essence dessert served in a shot-glass afterward. Luckily the portions are small....

I collected the loaves of bread (they looked like pound cake) that Bouley gave us as we left, and was able to provide those as party favors at my mahjong party that evening. I also put together an appropriate backdrop for the festivities.

As usual, Carolyn dominated the game for an extended period. She quickly became East Wind, and retained the position hand after hand. It was difficult to remember a time when she had not been East Wind. Nonetheless, after fortifying ourselves with smoothies, pizza and curried lentils for a few hours, we managed to dethrone her! Or rather, she let us win a few. (Thanks, Carolyn!) Luckily, the stakes were small - only our honor was on the line.

Warmest wishes to Emi as she leaves for her mission trip to India this week.

No comments: