Monday, February 19, 2007

Cool Running

Today I ran 1.5 miles. (This was actually the second time I did this particular route, but I had previously misread the park map so I didn't know how far I'd gone.)

I'm still learning how to play soccer (who knew you weren't allowed to hit the ball with your elbows?!), but I'm definitely getting better. And I'm having fun anyway, so it's all good. The funniest part was when a guy on the other side had the ball, and he was taking too long to do anything with it, so I started racing toward him to try to interfere with whatever manoeuvre he was planning. And he goes, "It's our ball!" And I suddenly realized that YES, he was right -- we had just scored, so I was supposed to stay on the other side of the line with my teammates. Oops!

Or actually, what was even funnier was earlier in the day during our church fellowship meeting. We were divided into groups to reflect and comment on some short bible verses. We went around the room, each group sharing its thoughts on its assigned verses; a very supportive, open-minded environment with no wrong answers. Then the captain of our soccer team spoke for the last group. He is super-competitive, and he just can't turn it off. He explained how much more challenging his group's verses were, and how his group's answers were better than those of another group considering the same verses! (Needless to say, he doesn't deal well when we lose soccer games; coming in "second" is not an option. Luckily, we won last night.)

No comments: