Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

A friend of mine snagged tickets to a sneak preview of Sweeney Todd. I somehow convinced myself this would be a play rather than a movie, and thus relatively un-gory. Let's just say that once the killing started, I watched the movie from behind my fingers. I think it's been a while since I've been to an R-rated flick.

Still, it was a good movie. I was familiar with the story, because we put on Sweeney Todd as a musical when I was in 8th grade. (I played Queen Victoria, a very minor but entertaining character who does not appear in the film. Then again, the film has entirely different songs and music, not to mention additional characters, subplots and plot twists. So I'm thinking we didn't put on the Stephen Sondheim work.)

The movie is directed by Tim Burton and stars Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd. There's a lovely moment where they pay homage to their prior collaboration Edward Scissorhands - the barber has been reunited with his gleaming silver razors after 15 years, and promptly unfurls one of the blades. Holding it full-length with outstretched arm, he proclaims that finally his arm is complete again. Corny, I know. But pretty cool.

I'm not a big fan of musicals in general, or movie musicals in particular (sorry, Bollywood), but I really liked several of the songs - especially the barbershop duet with Todd and Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman) and the meat pie duet with Todd and Mrs. Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter).

There are a number of nice touches and even a few small surprises that occasionally lighten the grim tone (without dispelling it). I liked the trip to a Victorian madhouse - especially that the women are sorted and stored by hair color. The hero (if you will) at one point is looking for a blonde, but he is first shown the brunettes and redheads.

HP fans might see some touches of Severus Snape in Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman does malevolence well), but rest assured Turpin's level of debauchery would not be suitable for a children's film.

No comments: