Saturday, November 15, 2008

Archaeology

I've been thinking of defining moments in some past relationships recently. Or more specifically, a moment that makes me smile about the guy when I think of it. For example:

Scene 1: W is a big-time Van Halen fan. We're driving somewhere, and W has offered me the opportunity to request/select a song or album.
Me (tentatively, thinking that a true Van Halen aficionado might scorn a hit appreciated by the masses in favor of a much more obscure and neglected gem): Do you have "Jump"?
W (incredulous): Do I have "Jump"???!!!!
He immediately blasts the song at full volume
.

Scene 2: X and I had planned to do something with friends in the evening, but when he heard about what I was doing in the morning, he joined me there. After lunch, he was reluctantly walking down the stairs with me to the subway.
X (tentatively): So, I guess you're going back home. Shall I call you when I find out what our friends want to do tonight?
Me: Sure! (slight pause) Unless you want to go for a walk in the park?
X flashes me a big grin and without a word we keep walking forward and march back up the stairs on the far side, out of the subway toward the park.

Scene 3: Y and I are on our way back to the city from yet another wedding.
Y (suddenly blurting out): Are we dating?
Me: No. Should we be?
Y: Yes!
Me: OK, let's give it a shot.

Scene 4: Z and I are washing dishes after a church dinner that I only attended because Z told me he would be there and asked me if I was going.
Z: How was your week?
Me: Fabulous!
Z (light-hearted sarcasm): Why, did you get a raise?
Me: No, but I was awarded a customer service award, a dinner for two at the restaurant of my choice.
Z (kidding around): When are we going?
Me (calling his bluff): Friday. 7 o'clock. Cucina di Roma.
Z (slight pause): Wait a moment, what just happened?
Me: Oh, nothing.

None of these guys are in my life right now, but just thinking about these moments - even for relationships that never took off the ground - really makes me smile.

No comments: