Monday, November 07, 2011

Dominican Birthday

Island Hopping Tour: [At Sea] - [PR] - [St. Barts] - [St. Kitts] - [Dominica] -  [St Vincent]  

We stopped at Roseau, Dominica.


I walked around town counterclockwise, passing by the botanical garden.  It is not a pedestrian-friendly place; the sidewalks are discontinuous, even haphazard, and the roads are narrow.  This would not matter too much, of course, if there were fewer cars and trucks.  

One of the highlights for me (albeit not pictured) was a restaurant called Italia, which boasted that it specialized in Dominican and Caribbean cuisine.  I also walked into a clothing and sundries store, and later a tourist-friendly boutique, to see what the local wares were like (I was hoping to find something cute I could use as a sun-shirt).  But I wasn't really in the mood to buy anything.

As I was returning to the ship, I ran into my uncle and grandfather, who were just setting out. 


So I promptly turned around and joined them - after all, it was my grandfather's birthday!  We walked down the main street, straight out from the pier, for a few blocks.  I became extra aware of the uneven footing, so I stayed within easy arm's reach of my grandfather in case he needed an arm.  After a few minutes, we went back to the ship.

Soon, I'd found a P.G. Wodehouse book in the ship's library (a "best of" collection, which contained many pieces I'd not read before, including his wonderful autobiography from a book called "Over Seventy").  Later in the afternoon, I got my hair cut - the first of several lovely spa experiences using our shipboard credits.  

The sunset was nice:


That evening, we commandeered the onboard restaurant for my grandfather's birthday celebration; they made an announcement and brought in a cake, and we all sang and cheered.  Luckily, he doesn't mind being the center of attention.

Happy birthday, Gramps!! 

Island Hopping Tour: [At Sea] - [PR] - [St. Barts] - [St. Kitts] - [Dominica] -  [St Vincent]  

No comments: