Saturday, March 03, 2018

Unreasonably Excited

by my new purchase.  Yes, gentle readers, I splurged on a cassette capture device to deal with my final handful of cassette tapes.  (OK, this so-called "splurge" was under $20, but still.)

Most of the tapes I'd kept since jettisoning my cassette player have some sentimental value, but I hadn't purchased all the songs on iTunes -- so I've not listened to them in at least a decade.  And Jon Astley's songs, in particular, seem to be scarcer than hens' teeth in this digital age.

So I started with a single of Dave Matthews Band's "Stay (Wasting Time)," which I'd recorded on the reverse of a single of The Human League's "Tell Me When," and the quality seemed OK, especially after running a simple noise reduction feature.

Emboldened, I embarked on Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme album and figured out out to label the individual tracks and then automatically export each track as a separate MP3 file for ease of use in iTunes.

OMG.  It works!!! It even plays and records both sides of the tape without intervention!!!

I now remember how much I love each and every track on The Steve Miller Band's Fly Like an Eagle album.  And most tracks on Jon Astley's Everyone Loves the Pilot (Except the Crew)....

Not sure I will transfer the old sermon tapes or Fawlty Towers audio recordings to MP3, but the music is wonderful.

No comments: