Monday, August 09, 2010

Sneak Preview

I love the kitchen at my new place, though I'm still figuring how to best use the space. I brought a judicious amount of plates and glasses, exactly the right amount for the kind of entertaining I'll do in a studio with home office (a/k/a windowless bedroom). So my plates, bowls and glasses all fit perfectly in the beautiful storage cabinets, which also serve as food pantry and (over the refrigerator) sports gear repository:


The only really tricky bit is the drawers. There are three shallow drawers and one deep drawer. The depth is fine. But they are only 8" wide - and all the cutlery trays start at 9". So today I found something at the Container Store (after striking out at Bed Bath & Beyond and K-Mart). It was in with the office supplies, but no matter. I think this may work!

Despite this triumph, I already made my first trip back to collect stuff that for some reason I didn't want to entrust to the movers, or that I convinced myself initially I wouldn't really want or need. Plants and some bottles of wine. For the plants, it was a rescue mission. The johnny-jump-ups were a gift from my mom, so I especially wanted to make sure I brought those over.

The window box was too long to fit into any of my bags, and too heavy to carry in my arms. So I repotted the surviving plants into two containers. This one originally held bath soaps etc. (a nice gift from my aunt and uncle), but is now proving itself to be the gift that keeps on giving:


Surprisingly, as I was waiting for my ride to Manhattan, a couple walked by and I dimly thought they reminded me of Alex and Sarah. The girl turns around and says Hey! because it IS Sarah and Alex. So we caught up briefly, and then they continued on their stroll over to listen to the cicadas in Prospect Park.

No comments: