Saturday, August 14, 2010

Warm-Up

On Friday, I had my first mahjong party to break in the new space. It was so good to see everyone - I've missed these get-togethers.

On Saturday, I woke up early and skated uptown. They have connected the two parts of the Hudson River bike path (they may have done it last year, but I have no idea because I did not manage to go there last summer at all). This meant I was able to skate happily to the north-most end of the dedicated smooth path, at W. 135th St.

I liked the statue outside the Chinese restaurant under the elevated highway.

I thought this looked wicked, with all the barbed wire:

Steeple rises divinely from the trees:

This is one half of the "Two Too Large Tables" installation (notice the table is table-like with built-in chairs for definition):

And here's the other half, where the table becomes a roof:

Close-ups:
A sign nearby explains that the "Two Too..." installation was created in 2006 by Allan and Ellen Wexler, surely a harmoniously named pair if ever I heard of one. Apparently part of the plan is:

"People ... sit in the chairs like caryatids, becoming supporting columns. The identical placement of chairs choreographs views of the river, the landscape and the highway."
I had no idea the chairs were identically placed in both table/sculptures. Now I have to go back and double-check!


At this pier, they offer sailing lessons. Out of the frying pan, into the boat?

View from the roof deck:

A spectacular day, finished with a visit to the Astoria Beer Garden. As I learned, there is a reason it is not called the "Beer and Wine Garden". Oh well. The burgers, onion rings and company were good. The place has a real community vibe. Very fun.

No comments: