Monday, September 05, 2011

Day 5: Cardiff

Wales 2011 Navigation: [Start of Trip] - [Prior Post] - [Final Post]

After luxurious spa treatments (an hour-long massage for me and a massage/facial combo for Sarah), taking advantage of a very limited discount offer which just happened to coincide with my visit, we saw the sights in downtown Cardiff. This included a stroll through Roald Dahl Plass (plaza), the little Norwegian church, and the harbor area generally. We attempted to go out to a sort of bridge area (known, I believe, as the Barrage) for some great views, but we were buffeted - dare I say barraged? - by wind and rain as we started picking our way through the maze of construction fences. We took that as a sign, and sure enough when we gave up and headed back, the weather calmed again. Hmm.


The Wales Millenium Centre was nice and glittery, a very beautiful color in the direct sun, although the overall architecture of the area struck me more as in the soviet/utilitarian school.  Clunky and modern, but with no love or appreciation of the space, and no lofty aspirations beyond mere improvement of the proletariat.  I'm not saying that's what was intended, but it's what I felt.


We had lunch at Kemis Cafe, which was a pleasant, airy space with good food.  Sarah went for the salad feast; I tried the sweet potato quiche with simple garnish.

In the afternoon, I caught the train back to Paddington and headed to Russell Square for my night's lodging at the Celtic Hotel.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect, actually, since it had recently changed hands.  But it was absolutely perfect for me - I had a small single room on the top floor (it's a walk-up).  The furnishings were spare, but clean, and there was a shared toilet in the hall.


Wales 2011 Navigation: [Start of Trip] - [Prior Post] - [Final Post]

No comments: