Saturday, July 23, 2011

Prelude

N.B. This is one of a series of posts about my short trip to Nova Scotia for a friend's wedding. Feel free to browse forward or backward using the navigation links.
Nova Scotia Navigation: [Start of Trip] -
[Prior Post] - [Next Post] - [
End of Trip]

On Day 3 - the wedding day - early morning clouds provided atmosphere:


The B&B owner's cat:


View from the graveyard across from the B&B (very convenient if guests happen to pass away during the night):


But right behind the graveyard is the McCormack Picnic Park with some lovely views:




I decided to walk over to the Highland Village - sort of casing the joint, if you will, or seeing if it would be a comfortable walk in heels later this afternoon:

A field of flowers (maybe the lupins, not quite sure):

Bridge to Grand Narrows:



I kept noticing all the wonderful patches of wildflowers along the road, taking mental note of where they were in case we needed to freshen up the vases for the reception:

First glimpse of the decommissioned church in the Highland Village - very pretty!

 


I liked this mailbox sailboat, floating in a sea of trees:

This shed seemed to reflect the architecture of the bridge (which itself was reflected in the water):


When I got back to the B&B, I had breakfast and met Emily's aunt and uncle (her mother's brother). They were super-nice.

The rest of my morning still stretched out before me, so I sent emails to some of my fellow wedding guests to let them know I was available to hang out, and then drove around the entire island to get oriented.

Maskell's Harbor:









Little Narrows Ferry:




Best. Birdhouse. Ever. I think it's a mock-up of the B&B itself (which is supposedly a former convent, though it looks like a regular house).

Finally, I headed over to the Highland Heights Inn to see if I could track down Annie or Bob.   Annie and her family were at the playground down the hill from the Highland Village!  The boys were really into Star Wars and did their best to educate me about all the latest developments.  I ran a few races against them and their sister on the playground, but they kept winning.  ;)



Nova Scotia Navigation: [Start of Trip] - [Prior Post] - [Next Post] - [End of Trip]


No comments: