Sunday, July 24, 2011

Skyline Trail

N.B. This is the last of a series of posts about my short trip to Nova Scotia for a friend's wedding. Feel free to browse using the navigation links.
Nova Scotia Navigation: [Start of Trip] -
[Prior Post] - 
[Coda]





The highlight of the day was Highlands National Park.  I reached the Skyline Trail a bit later than I'd hoped, so I set off briskly on my way down the easy forested path.




A bit of mille fleurs effect.



As I approached the main scenic overlook, the mist was rather thick.



But gradually, imperceptibly, it began to lift.



A nice view of the Cabot Trail...



...and the shoreline.


There's a nice boardwalk down the hill to multiple viewing areas and benches.



It was quite pretty from every angle. 












The second half of the loop (after the main boardwalk viewing area) was not as beautiful.  At one point, I ran into some folks who had seen a mother moose and two babies.  They told me to be very quiet so as not to disturb the moose family.  Apparently it was a wonderful experience, but for the life of me I could not see them, even when I ventured cautiously into the woods.  :(

The entire expedition took about 2.5 hours, complete with stops for photography and for some futile moose-hunting.



Afterward, I continued on through the park and along the Cabot Trail.  I wanted to reach Sydney before nightfall, and there was a long way to go. 

I was getting tired - and I'm not used to long drives these days.  So of course, that's when I hit the steep corkscrew descents!!!  Some spectacular views, but a bit hairy at times.  When corners are marked 25 kph, they mean it.  But a lot of people wanted to take those turns quickly.  I pulled over at many of the scenic overlooks to let them pass.

Fortunately, everyone survived.  I got to Sydney, found a hotel, and watched about 10 minutes of Star Wars on TV before I crashed.  Er, I mean, went to sleep.  I would get up early the next morning, catch a shuttle van back to Halifax, and then a plane back to the NYC metro area after a wonderful whirlwind trip to Nova Scotia.

Nova Scotia Navigation: [Start of Trip] - [Prior Post] -  [Coda]


No comments: