Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hello Cabot Trail

N.B. This is one of a series of posts about my short trip to Nova Scotia for a friend's wedding. Feel free to browse forward or backward using the navigation links.
Nova Scotia Navigation: [Start of Trip] - [Prior Post] -
[
Next Post / End of Trip]


The day brightened up considerably as I went on.

The distances looked perfectly reasonable on the map, so I hadn't thought to check how far I'd actually be driving.

It turns out the Cabot Trail is 185 miles, so it was a bigger commitment than I'd originally anticipated.



At one point, I saw a faded painted sign on the roof of a building which said "Last Esso 180 km" or something like that.  I remember thinking, Ha! They're not saying it's the last gas station, just the last Esso.  I'm not falling for that one!









But I resolved to get gasoline at the next opportunity just in case.  So I kept driving.  And driving.  For maybe 20 minutes.  And I started to get nervous.  What if that really was the last gas station in this direction for a good long while??

I turned around and headed back, looking for the "last Esso"... and somehow I missed it completely.





 I went through the area where I thought it had been, and beyond.  I got to a bridge, and I was sure I'd seen the sign after the bridge.  But now I was getting anxious, so I figured I'd just continue backtracking until I found another gas station.  Nothing.  I stopped at an ice cream stand and got some truly mediocre raspberry cheesecake flavored ice cream, plus the advice that there was just one gas station on the way north (the direction I wanted to go), and it was a good 30 miles away.  So I turned around again and started heading north.  I found the building with the "last Esso" message (it's only visible to north-bound drivers), but could not see any sign of actual gas pumps.  The place was desolate.  I spoke to a guy who was mowing a lawn nearby, and he said there was a station about 20 minutes up.

It turns out that the gas station was just about seven minutes after I'd given up and turned around the first time.  Grrr. 

But I fueled up and continued onward to Highland National Park.

Nova Scotia Navigation: [Start of Trip] - [Prior Post] - [Next Post / End of Trip]


No comments: